Monday, June 15, 2015

A Surprise Visit by the Lee A. Tregurtha

The next ship was kind of a surprise.  I was not really expecting to catch her but I did realize she was leaving Cleveland.
 The surprise visitor was the Lee A. Tregurtha and I'm always happy to see her.  She appeared shortly after the Algoma Mariner passed St. Clair.  She was heading up from Cleveland and probably to Marquette.
 I really would have liked to see her leave Cleveland because I think that would have been pretty neat but I think she only makes it as far as the dock just outside of the Art Deco Lighthouse as I don't think she could make it through the Cuyahoga River.
 As always, she is a very nice looking ship.
 Since she was converted from an ocean going vessel, she has probably one of the more unique looking bows on the Lakes.
 Next I headed up to Marysville.  The three quarters view that I like.
 Another shot of her bow.
 I decided to leave the big lens on to get some closeups of her pilothouse.
 She proudly displays the ribbons earned as a World War II vessel.
 Her stack.
 It looks like her deckhouse could use a little work.
 Her flag sort of flying proudly.
 And a shot of the Tregurtha wake that almost got me.
 Next I headed to the Blue Water Bridge to catch her there.
 I think these are best views.
 Especially since you can get this view.
 She makes her turn to leave the river.
 The full on view.
 With the bridge.
 Another shot of her bow and pilothouse.
And she continues on Lake Huron.

1 comment:

Roger Frank said...

Free Press is doing a story about this ship and freighter life. Not sure if you've seen it. http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2015/06/22/great-lakes-freighter-live-tweets/29099027/