Monday, November 10, 2014

A Quick Visit to the Aquarium

It has been a while since I've visited the Aquarium and I heard that they've been added some more fish, so I decided to stop there.
 It seems like it was just yesterday that I was going to Shiver on the River but it turns out that happened in 2012.  When they did that, re-opening the Aquarium was a dream of a cast of volunteers.  It even showed as there were just a handful of fish there.
 Since that time, they started to remain open on Saturdays and then they added Saturdays.  It seems like they have more tanks open.
 I really like looking on the inside of the aquarium.  When Albert Kahn designed this, he wanted to give the appearance that you are under water.  And since they've added the skylights, it looks more like that.
And as I said, I think they have a few more fish now.  This is an aligator gar.
 A painted turtle.
 A blue gill.  I had a few more fish pictures but they didn't turn out as well as I would have liked.
 Looking from the other side.
 They had a small tank with some lampreys in it.
 I'm not sure what kind of fish this is. 
Another view of the outside.  As I said at the beginning, I think it is kind of amazing that they've come this far in under a couple of years.  I'm hoping with Belle Isle being a state park, they might find themselves with a little more money and resources.

No comments: