Monday, September 8, 2014

The Nickel Plate 765 Itself

But of course the star of the show was the steam engine itself.  I don't know how many times I can say this or will say this but there is something special about a steam engine.  Diesel engines are cool and all but steam engines almost seem like living beings.  They huff and puff as the move.  The whistles are very distinct.  Anyway....
 Shortly after the Cuyahoga Valley Scene Railroad train disappeared, the Nickel Plate 765 appeared.  I couldn't think of a better setting for this engine.
 No wait, I take that back.  The bridge in the background does wonders. 
 She gets closer, you can definately hear her now.
 She was pulling an assortment of cars.
 One of the cooler aspects of this excursion was that they gave a photo run by of the train.  I didn't get that on the trip from Dearborn to Fort Wayne but I can see why.  They had to find an area where they could cordone a bunch of people so that everyone would have a chance at a picture of the engine.
 They backed the train up so that they could give a good start.
 It came by at a pretty good speed. 
 It was being assisted by a diesel engine.
 Here it is building up a pretty good head of steam.
 They had it pass by a couple of times.
 I kind of like this shot.
 Another shot of the diesel. 
 I had a few more opportunities to get pictures after the trip.  It was nice to have some other pictures without too many people in them.
 I kind of like this angle.
 A shot of the crew. 
 A shot from the front.
 I kind of like the railroad crossing sign in with this one.
 A closeup of the front.
 And her factory plate.  Apparently today is her birthday.
 A shot from the side again.
 From the wierd angle.
 And a wierder angle.
 I went over to the bridge because I thought I would get a decent shot from there.
It seems that I was right.

No comments: