Monday, September 1, 2014

Next Up...the Michipicoten

The ship that I was really interested in was the Michipicoten.  It has been over a year since I've seen her last because she normally goes between Marquette and the steel mill in Sault Ste Marie.  When I saw her on AIS, I knew I had to go out boatwatching.
 She's been on this blog before a couple of times, so I'm not going to go into her history much.  She is one of the classic lakers that I really like though.
 She was built in Sparrow Point, Maryland and was originally known as the Elton Hoyt 2nd.  Originally she was 627 feet long but was lengthened to her current length of 698 feet in in 1957.
 Her boom was added in 1980.
 In 2003, she was sold to her current owners and renamed the Michipicoten.
 At any rate, she's a beauty.
 A shot of her profile.
 And she heads off from Marysville.
 I decided to head down to St. Clair, I was hoping to get a head shot of her.
 But this was the closest I got to that.
 But I am fine with that.
 A shot of her pilothouse.
 And her stack.
She is heading to Toledo but I'm not sure what she is carrying.

No comments: