Sunday, September 21, 2014

Ann Arbor in Black and White...Mostly

I was down in Ann Arbor today.  It was a madhouse.  I guess there were still people lingering around from the game yesterday or something.  Usually it is pretty dead on a Sunday but that wasn't the case today.  Anyway, I had my camera with me, so I figured I might as well take some pictures.
 A little ways down from the Michigan Theater is an alley and in this alley there is a variety of grafitti.  I kind of liked this image of Bo.
 A shot of the alley itself.
 Across the street from that alley is the Dawn Treader Used Book Store.  It used to be in a basement location and it was much cooler there because you actually needed a map to find your way around the store.  I don't know how many times I would stumble across a skeleton holding a book there.  I kid but that would be a pretty close description.

At this point, I decided to shoot in black and white becuase it suited the mood of the day a little better.
 I kind of liked the idea of a transparent reflection.  I wanted a better angle but these folks kept getting in my way.
 Some of the other books they had in the window.
 I wish I would have known that the Michigan was showing the Princess Bride today.  That it one I wouldn't mind seeing on the big screen.
 Looking down State Street.  If you look to the left, you will see a panhandler.  It seemed like there were quite a few in Ann Arbor today.
 Another angle of State Street.
 Looking down Nickels Arcade.
 A window display at the Arcadian Antiques.  This one caught my eye because of its nautical theme.
 I kind of like these signs.
 A shot of Hill Auditorium.
 This is the University of Michigan's motto.
 The Burton Memorial Tower.
 I kind of like this statue although soon it wont be spilling water as they will turn that off for the winter.
 Part the sculpture above.
 A group of clouds moving over the Rackham Building.
 The Michigan League building.
 I decided to do the flag in color.  It almost looks like one of those selective color things with the gray clouds in the background.
 The block "M" at the center of the Diag.
 There was some sort of concert going on but I think the rain scared many of the people away.  He sounded pretty good though.
 I kind of wanted this one in color too.
 I figured I would put the rapper in color.
 Looking down at the other end of the Diag.  Normally I would be on the steps of the Grad Library but they were occupied.
 A cannon donated by one group of alumni.
 I kind of liked the looks of this sculpture.
 Looking through the main arch of the Law School.
 The Michigan Union.
 The rain covered sidewalk and the people sort of briskly walking kind of helped me with this picture.
 The sun peeked out of the clouds for this one.
 A quick snap of State Street.  As you can see, the weather couldn't make up its mind what to do today.  It would rain for a little bit, the sun would come out for a bit and then it would rain and so on.
 The mystery house.
 I kind of liked the way the sign looked against the door.
 Looking up at the Michigan Theater sign.
 This is Sweetwater's Cafe.  It now occupies part of the Jacobson's/Border's Building.  My mom has some of her artwork displayed here.  If you are in the area, I recommend that you check it out.  It is near the back of the building.
 To my right would be another Sweetwater's Cafe.  One of my mom's friends has her work here.  Again, check it out.
 The sign made me leave some change.
Still on the rain soaked streets.

No comments: