Saturday, September 27, 2014

A World War I Aerial Demonstration

As I said in my first post, I was headed down to Dayton for a World War I Aerial Demonstration.  It was at the Air Force Museum and the planes were flying around the museum grounds.  I remember reading about it from a couple years ago and when I saw they were going to do it this year, I decided to head down there.  This is the 100th Anniversary of the star of World War I.
 As we arrived at the museum, we saw the planes flying around the museum.  This first one is a Nieuport 23 wearing Belgian Regalia.  The Nieuport 23 was a French built aircraft and was an improvement upon the earlier Nieuport 17.  It was powered by a lighter version of the engine that powered the earlier aircraft giving it a better power to weight ratio.  The plane was used by most of the Allies in World War I.
 This is another Nieuport 23 but it is wearing Italian regalia.
 This is a Nieuport 12.  It was the predecessor to the 23's above.  It started as a recon plane but was transitioned into a fighter shortly after that.  I'm not sure what kind of regalia this plane is wearing.
 I believe this one is a supposed to be a Sopwith Camel, but I'm not sure.  This is probably one of the more famous aircraft in the war.
 The Italian from earlier.
 And the Belgian.
 I actually think this plane might be representing France.
 The Sopwith again.
 Another shot of the Belgian.
 After a while, they started to do some aerial combat demonstrations, which meant we needed a German.  This plane represents a Fokker DVII.  There were over 3000 produced during the war.
 This plane is a Nieuport C-1 wearing American regalia.  I believe the squadron insignia is for the 1st American Squadron.
 A shot of the combat.
 And sadly, our plane was shot.
 I was actually hoping to see this plane up in the air, but I think it might have been too windy.
 I think this is a Spad.
 Our Italian plane.
 After a little break, our planes were back in the air again.

 I think this plane was my favorite of the bunch.
 The Fokker E III.  It was called the Eindecker because it only had one wing.  It entered the war in 1915.  While revolutionary, it didn't sound particularly successful.

 This is a Fokker D VII but yellow.
 The Sopwith from below.  I really liked this shot.
And I leave you with one more.

No comments: