Sunday, July 13, 2014

A Brief Layover in Fort Wayne, Indiana

I think I've been to Fort Wayne, Indiana once in the past and that was to visit a vendor for the company I was working for at the time.  In fact, I don't even think I made it to Fort Wayne but just the surrounding area.
 I think this was a Fort Wayne police officer.   We were brought into the middle of the Three Rivers Festival.  Fort Wayne is at the confluence of the St Joseph, St Mary's River and Maumee River.  This made it an important trade hub for the European pioneers at the time.  It is named after the Fort that was establish there by Anthony Wayne in 1794.
 It didn't officially become a community until 1824 and experienced massive growth after the completion of the Wabash and Erie Canal and the following railroads.
 The train elevation itself was built where the canals used to be.  It currently has a population of over 400,000.
 I watched the tractor portion of the parade and thought that was somehow important for Indiana as agriculture is one of the larger industries there.
 Another John Deere tractor.
 I usually don't see these tractors moving.
 Like many Midwestern towns, it seems like Fort Wayne is in the process of re-inventing itself.  I get the impression this was a rundown neighborhood that is in the process of being renovated.  I ended up getting lunch at a BBQ restaurant here.
 Another characteristic of Midwest cities is the combination of old and new buildings.
 One of the coolest buildings I saw was the Allen County Courthouse.  It was built in 1902 and looks ornate like important buildings should.
 I probably could have spent all day taking pictures of the friezes on the building.
 The Lincoln Tower was built in 1930 and was the tallest building in Indiana until 1962.
 Another shot of the Allen County Courthouse.
 A statue of General Anthony Wayne.   He served during the Revolutionary War and was part of the unit that tried to invade Canada.  He was a fairly successful General during that war.  After the war, he was part of the Northwest Indian War.  Eventually, after his efforts, the European settlers were able to settle the areas we now call the Midwest.
 Just a fountain.
 I think this is the St. Mary's River.  If I had looked hard enough, I could ridden a pontoon boat tour but for some reason that didn't interest me.
 I did however go to Historic Fort Wayne.  This is the Fort that was established by Anthony Wayne.
 The Commander's house.
 One of the re-enactors.  He gave a pretty good talk about cooking back in those times.  In front of him, he had corn, beans and squash.  The Native Americans would grow these three products together.  The beans would climb the stalks of the corn plants and the squash would serve as a way to keep weeds down.  They were all harvested at the same time and could be dried and preserved.  They worked so well together that the Native Americans called them "the three sisters".
 Just an example of the kit carried by a soldier of the time.
 The main quarters for the Fort.
 The Revolutionary War American flag.
 One of the blockhouses.
 A re-enactor standing guard.
 Part of the Festival was a fair set up.  I think one of the things you could do was take a brief helicopter ride.
 It took me about three passes to get a shot that I liked.
 Saint Paul's Evangelical Lutheran Church was established in 1889.
 The Cathedral was established in 1860 and is the oldest religious building in Fort Wayne.
 Not sure about this statue though.
 At 442 Feet tall, the One Summit Square building has been the tallest building in Fort Wayne since its construction in 1982.  It is the second tallest building in the state.
 Looking down one of the streets.
 Another shot of some buildings.
 The Canal House.  This served as the Canal House for the Canal that passed through Fort Wayne.
I'm not sure what this building was before, but it is now a restaurant.

No comments: